Monday, May 21, 2012

Where it All Begins



The Hobbit Door

Today I received a one minute video of my beautiful daughter Genevieve, now a month and half old, smiling and cooing and being as perfect a human being as I've ever seen in my life.  I can't say I've ever missed anyone as much as I miss my little family.   They are my beginning.

There are beginnings here in China.  For instance I am beginning to order food with at least a reasonable expectation that what I thought I ordered I will receive.  There have been a few things, chicken hearts, the hottest peppers I've ever had, and soup that tastes like horse...poop...that were not exactly what we thought we had ordered.  Chicken hearts aren't bad.  They are just chewy..and kinda squishy.  I think Mom would love them!

I am also beginning (strong emphasis on BEGINNING) to understand the language.  Its a tough language.  I remember in Mexico being able to understand folks even if I only spoke a little Spanish.  It was kinda like English and you could make guesses about what they said.  Chinese is not like that...at all.  Sometimes I just stare at their faces and nod because they are not speaking my Chinese.  Some Chinese people sound like this when you ask directions:  "chengsaidanifuiecmiansdlkasdfs."  And then I say, "什么?” which means, "a What?"  and they say it a little slower and it sounds like, "cheng--sai---naaak---fuiee--mianndiiik---dsfeep----ajejjshih."  So I say, "oohhhhhhhh" and keep nodding my head like I understand.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it just gets more awkward and I walk away quickly acting like I have an appointment on the other side of the sidewalk.  The goal is not to look back and run faster if they follow.

 Every experience helps me learn though, even the hard ones. Sometimes the hard ones help you the most and open a new doorway into a part of the language you didn't initially know existed.  Then there is quiet reflection and a determination to go out and try again--this time armed with knowledge that "Cheng" means "city," or "often, or "transfer," or "clarify".....phhhewww.

Mountain
Stairway to Heaven
Paradise
On Saturday we went to the Mountain of the Red Snail, which is also a Buddhist temple.  They told us it was a little hike.  They didn't tell me it was mountain of stairs.  If there is a stairway to heaven, its at the Buddhist temple of the Red Snail.  The pictures don't give it any kind of justice.  I'm going to guess that its about 5 miles of stairs to the top.  No one made it...not even me.  A few of us would have had we had more time, but the hours got the best of us and we headed back to beginning--where I found paradise.  I looks like a movie doesn't it?  It felt like one.

Finally, I went to church in Beijing.  Its on the 4th floor of this building and smells like...a Mormon church.  There are actually two small branches: one for the Embassy and one for the rest of Beijing. How would you like THAT job. Of course it doesn't really count since at the beginning of each meeting they remind members that we respect China's laws and that it is illegal to speak with native Chinese about the church unless they have a foreign passport.  Still 16 million people on your mind and one branch?  It is a beginning.

The Branch President of Beijing 
The building the church is in

Oh, and one more thing for Dad and Jared.  Here is a Beijing dumpster.  I don't know how they unload it or why they have little doors on it...all I know is that trash smells the same even on the other side of the world.



Love to All.

8 comments:

  1. Hey David, they have dumpsters like that here in the good ol' US of A, but they use them for recycling different things...and no I don't know how they empty them either. I need to look into that I think. I think it's hilarious that you are discussing some of the beautiful things of China and we fixate on dumpster mechanics...sheesh, being a trash guy is messed up. Keep it up man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so crazy about the stairs! Don't you wish you had more time just to see if you could do it? I do. I mean, to see if you could do it, not me. I know I couldn't. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^ That is Hannah Jane, just in case you wondered. I realized my Blogger identity just says "Hannah." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey David! Seriously!!!! FIVE MILES of stairs? I can only imagine! Wow! Sounds like a good exercise routine.:) "I'll take the stairs, please.":)

    Awesome experiences! And I've seen the dumpsters too. This is why we have youtube. Maybe we can look up how they empty out these doodads there.:) I haven't tried yet. But, ah heck, why not.:) Glad to know our trash smells the same.:) LOL

    Grateful everything is going well for you! Keep the faith and hang in there! Prayers, from Arizona!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. One question, David. What kind of peppers are you eating that are so hot? If they are anything like unto that habanero pepper I ate whole, I feel for ya! What's the name of them?:)

    Take care! We're reading your blog for FHE.:) It's pretty awesome!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. I thought I was being health conscious to take the stairs to work instead of the elevator - the whole 4 flights of them 2 or 3 times a day. Now I feel weak . . .
    I'm thankful you get pictures AND video of your perfect family. I've only been gone from mine for 2 weeks once that was SUPPOSED to be 2 months - again, I feel weak.
    I think it a riot that the only way to talk to them about the church is if they have a passport. My WORD. What a funny law. A passport to access heaven. That's what that is. :) Do they speak english in the branch? Or Chinease?
    Again, your blogs are full of emotion and wonder. My absolute favorite thing to read and ponder right now. Keep the Faith. I'm thankful we are under the same moon, even if it shines at different times, and that when you went to Church, not only did it smell the same, they also taught the same things. :) Oh, and also that prayers are strong enough to reach around the world, even as big and foreign as it is.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we climb that stairway to heaven every day, just one step at a time and over the course of a lifetime. Kinda glad you didn't quite get there. . . yet. I mentioned to someone the other day I had a son in China and their comment was, "I didn't know the church was in China yet!" Well, it is and it isn't. Interesting how Satan will try to suppress the gospel by making it illegal in their native tongue. You don't have to speak it to preach it. Blessings on you, my son. We are praying for you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete