Sunday, May 27, 2012

So I Ate a Hamburger

I like Chinese food.  I always have.  Things like Orange Chicken, Fried Rice, and Chow Mein have always tasted delicious to me. They don't have those things in China--or if they do I haven't seen them.  The food here does resemble the Chinese buffets that occupy small town USA in a few small ways: rice, noodles, and meat.  Otherwise the food is very different and sometimes strange.  Also, I like Panda Express once a week, but spicy peppers and chicken pieces kinda get old three times a day.  So I went to Burger King.  Hey its been 3 weeks!  You can't blame me!  It was a long trip!  It took 2 hours!


The guy at the counter even spoke some English.  He thought he was hot stuff speaking to the American in English.  He said in english, "yes.  That is all twenty-nine point five Yuan."   I smiled and picked my hamburger wondering what strange things I say in Chinese.  

So I ate the whopper and enjoyed it...kinda.  I was worried coming to china that I would get sick from the food: new food, strange things--like scorpions--but I have been in tip top shape since day one.  When I started with the fries I was disappointed.  They were made correctly, but tasted soooo salty.  Worse, the whopper gave me the first food stomach ache that I have had in a month.  I'm going to say that it may be another month before I eat another hamburger.


There are some interesting facts about China.  You would think that with communism and all that many things would be free.  They are not.  I was talking to the Chinese lady downstairs who owns a little mini-mart shop directly below our Hostel.  She has a little boy that runs around on the street and plays with broken glass bottles with his friends in the street.  Sometimes the cars come screaming through--Beijing drivers mind you--and the little boys yell, "车!”  I have anxiety about it.  He is 4.  His mother told me that there is no free school in GaoBei Dian, that it costs over 2,000 yuan a month for a normal school, and that it would be impossible to have more than one child in China because it is just too expensive.  Everyone is amazed that I have 3 children.  They think I'm crazy.  


Sometimes I think we are at war...really. They have crazy fireworks episodes during the day--like right now.  It literally sounds like guns are going off all over the city for about 20 minutes.  The first time it happened I almost run up to tell the professor.  I thought we'd be packing up and heading to the embassy.  After a while though, I decided it was fireworks.  The next day it happened again...and most everyday after that too.  Who has that kind of money!  ahhh China.


The pictures today are kind of random.  I don't have a lot of stories for them.  They are a snap shot of different places and things I've seen but haven't posted yet.  I miss you all--except all those strange Nickle folks.  "Missing" isn't strong enough.
Beijing Building

Bikes

Growing China

McDonalds and Kaiwen (my roommate)

Packed Subway

Packed Subway 2

Progress in Beijing

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I find the fact that you ate a scorpion or a few and didn't get sick, and then ate a hamburger and didn't feel good at all, rather fascinating. You are braver than I. We watched "Fear Factor" a few weeks ago and watched the contestants chow down on five scorpions each. There's a darned good reason I'd never be trying out for that show.:) We miss you too! And we pray for you and hope you are doing well. All our support!

    Luv,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. fake communism is lame-o. Sorry about the burger tummy ache...but that is pretty funny about the english speaking guy. Adventure on, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy the things we "Americans" put ourselves through with fast food!!!

    I've got a "small" request. Ralph's teacher is collecting rocks from all over the world. When I told her you were in China she wanted me to ask you to bring back a small rock. It doesn't matter what kind. It could be literally any rock you happen to pass by. She just wants a rock from china. She likes to show the kids that rocks look a lot alike even across the world.

    Keep up with the amazing posts. My kids (and especially me) love to hear about your adventures.

    Your Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings on you for trying the Chinese Hamburger. I mean we are praying it doesn't give you food poisoning. That Western diet can be trouble, especially with a foreign twist. I wonder if it gives them indigestion too! Is there an option of vegetables besides hot peppers? The pic of the building was amazing. Imagine having the unsupported corner office space...hmmmm wouldn't get sleepy at work, and glass floors would be a great conversation piece! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi David! I'm sure hoping you're missing us Menlove's too! I'm enjoying so much "seeing" China through your eyes. I sure don't like the air quality that I can see in the pics you post. Are you sure you're staying healthy breathing that stuff?!

    Miss you! Peggy

    ReplyDelete