Sunday, May 13, 2012

Beijing, Mother's Day, and Scorpions


I was going to start this blog with a story about eating scorpions--and I will, soon.  First, however, There is the man named "shi."  The story is short and it made a serious impression on me that I will never forget. I went to a park in down town Beijing by myself.  My friends went to see Avengers in 3D with Chinese sub-titles.  It was 120 yuan (about $20) and I couldn't justify the expense when I buy breakfast every morning for 3-5 yuan (about 75 cents).  So I went to the park.  There was a big crowd of people dancing...just dancing like a line dance in the middle of the afternoon.  Now, mind you, that these were not a bunch of teenagers or professional dancers; these people were young, old, good dancers, bad dancers, and everyone in between.  I wanted to dance too, but I didn't want to be the center of attention just yet.  I'm already the talk of the subway.  Some people point.  Most just stare.  No need to make matters worse.  So I watched.

After the dance I climbed the hill in the park that had little stone pathways leading to many different parts of the hill.  At the top I found "Shi”。 He was sitting on a bench on the top of the hill.  When he saw me he said, "请坐,请坐。” while tapping the empty seat on the bench next to him.  Now, those of you who know Chinese culture know that personal space is not understood in the same way as it is in the US.  We talked in Chinese for some time.  He had some sort of disability that made his movements a little slow, but it wasn't serious...and he wasn't homeless.  You could tell he was brilliant in his own way, and he told me about his kids. He drew out his last name for me on the bench with his finger: "Shi".  He grabbed my arm and felt my elbow and fingers...then put his hand on mine to measure the size and color of his to mine.  He was patient with my Chinese and asked me many questions.  I understood only some.  When I got up to leave, he showed me the way down the hill and walked me some distance to the entrance of the subway--making sure I could find my way.  When I said good bye he lifted his hand to wave and looked me straight in the eye.  As we made eye contact we communicated more in a moment then I had with all the Chinese I've ever met.  We understood each other more in that moment than I even understand my American friends.  The only other person in the world that I have understood in this way is Alfredo...an old family friend from Argentina who cannot be explained with words.  My family will know what I mean.  With no spoken words this Chinese man said to me, "Thank you friend.  I understand you.  I know you.  I will remember you.  Thank you..."  and I hope he understood me as well.  Someday we will meet again, "shi".  Someday.

Now for scorpions.  Yes I ate three scorpions.  They were wiggling on a stick, alive and well, until the "Shifu" dipped them in oil and handed them to me to eat.  I hope you like the pictures.  I was ok with the taste although I felt a little queezy afterwards.  It wasn't the taste as much as the feel of the tail, stinger, claws, and legs of the little guys in my mouth.  They had a little crunch to them and were heavily flavoured with salt. I was grateful for the salt!  I also had some dumplings filled with some meat I was unfamiliar with.  Someone told me it was sea horse.  I think they were right.  I drew the line when I saw the tarantulas.  I can't do large hairy spider.  I'm sorry.  I am not brave.



















Down town Beijing is beautiful.  Its not like GaoBeiDian where we live.  Its clean and nice with huge buildings and even bigger shopping centers.  I have never in my life been around so many people.  Its a sea of black hair that is endless.  It is hard to comprehend 1.3 billion people till you come here--then you get it.  Its hard to explain...there are just so many people.



As I was leaving the shopping center I saw this sign.  It is in Chinese and I am posting it for my Mom who I love very much and to whom I literally owe my life.  This sign, the big characters, says, "妈妈,我爱你。"  It means, Momma, I love you.


And Momma, I really do.

If you want, Mom, for Mother's Day I'll send you a fried scorpion on a stick from Beijing. Guessing that you don't.  I hope you enjoy this pictures instead.

Love to all.

10 comments:

  1. I gathered Jared and the kids around the computer. We looked at your posts and your pictures together! Jared says you are awesome! Well, we all do. And I'm wondering if you should try out for Fear Factor.:) Good job with the scorpions. Do they taste like chicken?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gathered Jared and the kids around the computer. We looked at your posts and your pictures together! Jared says you are awesome! Well, we all do. And I'm wondering if you should try out for Fear Factor.:) Good job with the scorpions. Do they taste like chicken?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost wonder if I would have chosen the tarantulas over the scorpions, if I HAD to eat one. I almost threw up in my mouth just now. Thanks. Lol

    I love the way you write, David. I can almost hear your voice in my head as I read. Can't wait for more!

    Love You Bro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah That's what I said... about throwing up in my mouth. Hilarious. And gross.

      Delete
  4. You are brave. I don't think I could eat the scorpions. But, I think we all need to meet someone like "shi" in our lifetimes. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Abe,
    Your reports here are wonderful! You have a talent for giving us an account of your adventures. The pictures are powerful and the scorpions .... wow. Keep the detailed descriptions going and keep filling your extra time with good adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to share this post with my family. They LOVED your last one. (Serena said she loves the way you write. You may be her new favorite author.) It is so amazing to be able to experience this through you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Shawn
    Thanks for the powerful story of Shi....I have had a couple of experiances like that. They are very powerful. As for the scorpions....well you my friend are a much better man than I am because that would not happen here. I would rather starve I think that eat one of those devil things...on teh flip side though I guess that is your payback for being stung twice at Hannahs :) Love you and keep up teh good posts and keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how we pray for you. Oh, how I worry that you are all right. And there you are eating scorpions and being dangerous. Didn't your mother ever teach you not to put things like that in your mouth? What if it hadn't fried enough and bit you back? You never know...
    Loads of Love back at you, my son. I write through tears of joy. Thank you for the message.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last one was from mom. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete