Thursday, July 12, 2012

Normalizing


The monsoon season has arrived in China; the rain comes down in sheets, washing clean both the ground and the air.  The morning after a rain, Beijing is reborn. Hundreds of thousands of Chinese take to the streets to walk, laugh, and live for a moment in the clarity of pure sunlight.  I love those mornings too.  I know there are places in China where clean, crisp air is the norm, but Beijing, Shanghai, and the eastern populations centers are not among them.  We take clean air for granted in the US.  Next time you go outside, take a deep clean breath of American air--then thank God for America.  I do, more and more each passing day.

I am now entering the last month of this amazing summer; I can't believe it has passed so quickly.  There have been ups and downs--summits with fantastic views, long frustrating plateaus, and deep dark gorges of despair.  I have experienced all of these here in China and I think I am not alone.  With a foreign culture like China, you have this moment where you think everything is fantastic!  Even the scorpions taste good!  Eventually, however, the novelty of chopsticks and two dollar lunches wears off and all you see are the over crowded subways, dirty streets, and strange sounding Chinese people.  I call this period the "Everything American" period because all you want to do is find the American international stores, buy peanut butter, and make a freak'n sandwich.  For me, it was only a couple of days, some of my classmates never escaped and still can't say a nice thing about China or the Chinese.

Not me.  I've finally normalized and find China to be intensely interesting.  There is so much raw potential here.  It doesn't feel like the states where I feel like we are maximizing a least a portion of our national potential.  In China there are literally hundreds of millions of people moving up the ranks of society--working to make something of themselves--but just can't for some reason of another.  What would happen if that potential was released?

We went to Shanghai, its been a while since I've recorded my experiences.  Shanghai was like New York--a lot like New York--just a little bigger.  It is heavily influenced by western culture and was really built by the West--hence the New York feel.  Its beautiful at night.  You look across a branch of the Yangtze River into down-town and its pretty fantastic.

From Shanghai we went to Suzhou, China's Venice...just older...and more people.  It was pretty cool to walk along the grand canal and watch the private barges move along the current-less water.  I had a moment of clarity watching one barge meander past me.  There was a clothes line stretched across the back of the boat and the captain had no shirt on.  Then I noticed it was a little family on the boat: A Dad, Mom, and a little boy.  They obviously lived on the boat--moving up and down the ancient canal day after day.  The grand canal was built in 700 AD from Guangzhou all the way to Xinjiang...then later to Beijing.  Thats like a canal connecting Florida and DC, built 1300 years ago.  Anyway, my moment of clarity is hard to explain, but it has something to do with living authentically and learning to love the life we've been blessed with.  As some of my classmates murmured incessantly about the heat and discomfort of our trip, I wiped the sweat from my forehead and wished I was on that barge headed for Tianjin.  Who was that man and his little family headed north?  What did he think about communism and democracy, capitalism and liberty?  Surely he has an opinion, but on that hot summer day--he just drove his boat and his family north.  I don't think you will understand my meaning here: it is something of a feeling rather than a concrete concept.    
the family barge

the family barge 2


We're back in Beijing now.  We moved up north to Beijing Normal University.  Yes, that is the name of the school.  There are no errors in the name.  In fact there are lots of "Normal" universities in China.  There is something lost in translation there that I can't quite get a grip on.  No one would go to Phoenix Normal University.  It would be too....normal.

Soon we will be headed to Tibet.  I'm so excited I can hardly stand it.  We're going to the base of Mt. Everest, riding a night train across the entire country, and even seeing the capital of Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism.  One of the teachers, Dr. Jones, grew up in India and Pakistan--near the border of Tibet.  He is Evangelical Christian and one of the smartest men I have ever met.  I talked to him a lot about Christianity, my own faith, and the history of the East.  I am evermore convinced that God loves all of his children, and is working now to bring truth to the billions who wait.

Whatever I see in Tibet, it will probably be the most un-normal experience I have ever had.

Keep the Faith

7 comments:

  1. I love your outlook on life. I love the way you express it. I love your optimism, your humor, and how you always connect the ending statement to something in the context of your writing. Great writing skills. I can't help but feel that the Lord is preparing you for something grand. The fact that you love the people still while others have a hard time shows the kind of man you are. Keep up the amazing work. We can't wait to see you again. Hopefully I can see come to Arizona soon; only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Elizabeth. :) I am positive that you are getting more out of this experience than any of those grumpy guys. Lol
    I think I understand the feeling of the family on the boat.
    Miss you, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just frickin amazing. Everest?!?! You get to go see Everest?!?! Wow. As for 'Normal', I wonder if it's less a lost in translation thing than a culture thing. Americans don't WANT to be normal...maybe for the Chinese being normal is good. I wonder. I would love to live on a boat. Wake up, "Hey honey, where are we?" every day. What a way for a Nickle to live. Home is where the boat is! I also think your feeling/thought thing was deep. How many of us live in the 'just taking my family down the canal' world and never think of the bigger picture. Maybe that's the way to live. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, I have really enjoyed your writings and pictures. Wow! You're a good man. I wish I could be trucking around those streets with you. Quite the experience. Pretty amazing opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is amazing along with the cleverness of your writing. I feel like sitting around a camp fire with you and your lovely wife and devouring the stories you would tell from your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cry, I ponder, and I absolutely enjoy every bit of your blog!! So do the boys. I think Jared is right - I think Normal is something Americans dread, but maybe Chinease are searching for. I mean, have you ever seen a chinease gal with RED or BLUE hair in a spiked mohok with 12 piercings per ear and tatoos on the chest? I saw an American like that yesterday . . .
    Your experiences are so incredibly not-normal I can't begin to even think in those kind of pictures. I must say, my absolute favorite pictures you have sent besides the ones you are in are the ones with so much GREEN!! So much beauty!! I hope one day to see something as not-normal as what you see!! Because I'm American, and a Nickle - that's what I search for. Keep writing. It's amazing. It's captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to mention - this is Becky. I show up as Shawn West - because that's what our google account is under. :)

    ReplyDelete